Well, ’tis the season where my freezer looks like this for an entire month:
Cookie baking season is upon us!!
For the passed several years this has been a thing for me. Constant baking throughout the month of December. Constant. I have always loved Christmas cookies. It’s the combination of two things I really, really enjoy: cookies and VARIETY.
There are just SO DAMN MANY Christmas cookies out there. That’s the best part! I just have to try them all! I have this deep, unending yearning to make all of the cookies. Of course, my discovery of Pinterest really hasn’t helped this situation whatsoever. Now I’m pinning possible Christmas cookies all year long. Not that that’s the worst thing. Needless to say, if you’re a friend of mine, you’re getting a big ‘ol plate of cookies for Christmas. A whole big variety.
The peanut butter variations are my most favorite, surprised? When I was little my mom made two peanut butter cookies around Christmas that I remember. One was the classic Peanut Butter Blossom, which I actually only ate the kiss off of because my mom likes to burn things. Especially cookies.
Ew. Burnt cookies.
My cookies always err on the side of underdone.
Then she also made these peanut butter balls. I have no idea what they were or what was in them other than peanut butter. They were also rolled in powder sugar so they looked like little snowballs. Peanut butter snowballs. They tasted more like cookie dough from what I remember and seeing as there was nothing burnt about them I’m almost positive they were a no bake thing. Maybe like a Buckeye with powdered sugar instead of chocolate? I have no idea. If anyone knows what these may be or may have some kind of similar recipe, please leave it below in the comments! I’ve been searching for forever.
Now, continuing on with the holiday cookies, I wanted to share my lineup. I’m listing the ones I’ve made so far and including some links to other guys I’m hoping to roll out in the next few weeks. These are all great for your holiday table, parties and cookie swaps! :)
My Favorite Holiday Cookies – of 2013 so far:
– Double Chocolate Cheesecake Cookies – these are fantastic! Watch out though, the dough for these are even better than the cookie. Dan and I both could not keep our grubby little paws out of this batter. Seriously. I probably only made about half the cookies that the recipe provided. It was kind of like…one glob of dough for the sheet, one for my mouth, one for the sheet, two for my mouth…..and so on.
– The BEST Molasses Cookies EVER – WOW. So far these are Dan’s second favorite cookie I’ve made this year. As I was making the dough I realized that it’s actually the recipe from the side of the Grandma’s Molasses jar. For real. Thanks Grandma.
– Brown Butter Snickerdoodles – So far, these guys are Dan’s number one favorite. They definitely are that good. Then again, you don’t have to twist my arm for brown butter. Or cinnamon.
– Peppermint Truffles – These are the one staple that I make religiously year after year for the holidays. I just adore them and they really are such a fun little addition to a cookie platter. They’re an unexpected surprise and people always get really excited about them! Of course, they’re also delicious and very pepperminty!
– M&M Cookies – These are just the classic cookie, perfected! This year I used red & green Pretzel M&Ms and they look so cute & festive!
– Reindeer Marshmallow Pops – I mean, why not?! They’re ridiculously cute and insanely easy! These guys are on my to-do list for the week. They’d be super cute as a gift attached to a hot cocoa mix and nice little mug!
– Pinwheel Cookies – OMG!
– Cannoli Cupcakes – Cannolis made easy! And unbearably adorbs.
– Turtle Cookies – Anything turtle just screams holiday to me. It always reminds me of the Williams Sonoma December catalogue
– Eggnog Cookies – Because I currently have a carton of eggnog that I’ve already taken my one annual sip out of and I need to use that stuff up!
Happy baking!!! Leave me a comment of any cookie you’re making or currently swooning over for the holiday! If you can’t already tell, I love my options ;)